Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

I saw him again

I saw him again. He hadn't changed. The mole on the side of his nose was as distinct as it used to be. He had the same twinkle in his eyes and the same smile that used to have me hypnotized. It looked as if time has remained frozen for him. There wasn't a single trace of change on him that I could detect.
The sight of him standing at a distance took my breath away as it used to. It has been fifteen years since he left yet I could remember him like yesterday. I longed to be in his arms and feel his soft kisses on my cheeks but I knew that it was impossible now. I never knew what went wrong which made him drift away from me.
Seeing him at a distance had me rooted on the ground. My friend saw the dazed look in my eyes and asked whether I had seen a ghost. Indeed it was a ghost I was looking at- the ghost from my past. I didn't have a word to respond to her and she shoved me inside a restaurant for which I was grateful. I sat at a table which overlooked the street across where the ghost from my past was standing as if waiting for someone.
Seeing him there brought back the memories of the good old times that we had, the unfulfilled promises we made and the heart break that I suffered when he disappeared. My eyes welled up with thought and my friend who had been observing me was worried because she had never seen the emotional side of me. I had long since learned to burry my emotions which I dug out only at the lone moments when I was alone. The people around knew me as a composed, self made person who lived the life on her terms. No one knew the scared, emotional and lonely soul which resided masked underneath the confident lady.
The very thought of him being so near brought out the emotional side of me which was hidden deep inside my heart. I had built a wall around me which did not permit anyone to pry into my life. Many had tried to know the real me in the last fifteen years but failed and left me at peace saying that I was meant to be alone. I agreed to that and was satisfied with what the life had to offer because I did not believe in falling in love twice. I had had my share of love and the memories of the bygone days are enough to lead me till the end of my time yet seeing him again made wish if only…….

No comments:

Post a Comment