Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Had I had my way…



Sitting on the balcony, my thoughts wander and I start thinking about all those experiences that I had and wonder whether my life had been worth living. Had I had my way, I would have embraced the death sooner instead of seeing my family face the terror on my account.
Every day they put a brave face and try to smile through the tears but I know what they are going through. It had been that way since the day they discovered about my illness. It had been an ill-fated winter morning when I blacked out in my office and my colleague found me senseless in the office. After a few chaotic moments they had transported me to the hospital where I had been tested through various medical examinations. The doctors did not find anything wrong with my report and I was sent home after a few days in the hospital.
But as I started passing out more frequently, my family got anxious and I had to go another series of medical examination where I was diagnosed with leukemia.
Now after two years of medication and a series chemotherapy treatment at the cancer hospital in Kolkata, I am home but my condition is haven’t improved much. I regularly visit the hospital for review and try to live a normal life but my health is deteriorating.
Every evening as I go to sleep, I look up into the face of my family fearing that it would be the last time I would be seeing them and I can see the same dread in their eyes.
All I can do for now is pray that my death be easy and early so that my family doesn’t have to go through another day of dread and wretchedness.
(*Note: This is a real story of a friend )

No comments:

Post a Comment